Mar 2, 2015

Book 60: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

This is one of those books that everyone was really talking about years ago when the book and movie came out.  I was curious, but skeptical on the book, and at that time I was exclusively reading the classics.  To be honest, I had completely forgot about this book until I caught the movie on TV and that is what prompted me to read it at this time.  And I am happy to say this is one of the books that live up to its hype (as well as the movie).

As simply as I can put it, the book is a look into the lives of black servants in 1960's Mississippi at the beginning of the Civil Rights movement.  It highlights the hypocrisy of the system that has black women raising white children who grow up to look down on the same women who nurtured them.

It is a book I think I would put on a list for my kids to read when they get a little older.

Regarding the movie adaptation....Good job with the material, of course the book is always better, but this is one of the better ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments....