Sep 19, 2014

Book 42 The Remains of the Day by Kazau Ishiguro

I was so moved after reading Never Let Me Go I needed to either reread it or see if there was another one of his books that I could read.

I was surprised to see that he was the author of The Remains of the Day.  Honestly, I thought that book had been written decades before.  I remembered watching the movie and really liking it, so I went ahead and downloaded it to my kindle.

I was happy to see the rambling narrative style of Never Let Me Go was present in The Remains of the Day.   I really enjoy the intimate aura it creates.  I have found that I need to have longer reading blocks for this type of book, or else I would lose all the subtly that builds.

I feel bad that I am forced to review this book in the shadow of his other book, because it is a wonderful book and I should have been able to enjoy it for what is is.  However, I did find that my mind was still occupied with Kathy, Ruth and Tommy.  Which by the way I am rereading at this time.

I have discovered that I am terrible on writing reviews and expressing my excitement for a book in giving recommendations.  I don't want to give away anything and want to them to have a pure experience of the book, and I am not sure how to do that.  I think I am better on a book like this one, where I am able to describe the book as a book where the main character, an English Butler, is retrospective on his life and career.  At this point in his life he is having to revisit the near past and come to reckoning with his part in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love comments....